As most politically informed students know by now, the 2016 Presidential race is well underway.
Slated for Tuesday, November 8th of next year, this upcoming election will definitely dictate the direction America will be heading in.
With corruption (
MONEY EQUALING FREE SPEECH) running rampant in our political system, it seems as in recent memory, the nominee who raises the most money from the Establishment will most likely win the race.
Nonetheless, I would like to speak on each of the potential candidates running from the Right and Left :
- Jack Fellure ; A retired engineer, the man ran late in 2012 for the Presidential nod. In 2012, he was the Prohibition party nominee. From a quick read of his political stances, he seems too far Right to get the nod in 2016. Read more about his views here.
- Jeb Bush ; Recognized widely by name, and for being the 43rd Governor of Florida, he is exploring a potential run. Too far Right, in my opinion, for the entire country to get behind him. With the history he had during his tenure as the Gov. of Florida, and family political dynasty, another Bush as President is hazardous for all of Americans’ health. A no from me.
- Ben Carson ; Complete newcomer politically, Dr. Ben Carson is a world-renown retired neurosurgeon. The first surgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins joined at the head, the man is well-respected for his contributions to the medical field. However, his views are just as Right as any of the other potential runners in the field for Republicans. Because of this, I feel he will not get the nod.
- Chris Christie ; Governor of New Jersey, widely infamous for Bridge-Gate and his awkward hug with Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Christie could potentially get the 2016 Republican nod, but winning the President’s seat seems unlikely. He opposed legislation to raise minimum wage and does not think that adults over 21 should be able to use Cannabis recreationally, as does most of these potential candidates on the Right. A no from me.
- Lindsey Graham ; Senator from South Carolina, Mr. Graham is a veteran of our military. A hawk concerning foreign policy, Lindsey thinks more intervention in the Middle East and more spending on military defense (
OFFENSE) is a good thing. Graham also believes that the torture methods we used against detainees were justifiable. For these reasons, I think getting the presidential nod from the America people will be difficult if he survived the gauntlet on the Right.
- Mike Huckabee ; Presidential candidate in 2008 and former Governor of Arkansas from 1996-2007, Mr. Huckabee is a standout for the Christian Right. Infamous for his remarks following the Sandy Hook massacre, Mr. Huckabee opposes Obamacare and would repeal it if given the power. Do I think he will be our next President? No.
- Hilary Rodham Clinton ; Three words : Name recognition/ESTABLISHMENT. Wife of Former President Bill Clinton, Hilary has been there, done that. A former First Lady, State Senator, and Secretary of State, Mrs. Clinton is someone Americans can identify and root for. However, she is pro-Establishment. She has the strongest chance right now, in my opinion, of winning the entire thing. I see her easily taking the Democratic nominee. UNLESS …
- Bernie Sanders ; Independent State Senator of Vermont, this man could potentially change the entire political conversation in our country. Sanders has been involved with politics since 1971. A strong supporter of the troops, he denounced the Vietnam War. Furthermore, he opposed the Invasion of Iraq in 2003. Sanders is not your typically
politicianstatesman. To see his activity in Congress, I urge you to read more here. If he finalizes his run for 2016, he will have my full support. Harsh reality has me leaning towards no though.
- Joe Biden ; Current Vice President, former State Senator from Delaware. Having experience, he ran back in 1988, Mr. Biden could potentially capture the eye of the American people if he decides to run. At face value, he seems like your average Liberal. One thing sticks out like a sore thumb though, ESTABLISHMENT. For this reason alone, I do not think he could pull it off.
- Jeff Boss ; A 9/11 truther (
need I say more). Ran for Governor of New Jersey in 2009. A year earlier, he ran for President as well as for a Senate seat in New Jersey. Gets my respect for being Liberal at least. Definitely not getting the Democratic or Presidential nod though.
- Vermin Supreme ; Promises a free pony for each American. Participated in Occupy Boston protests. Plans on touring 20 cities for his 2016 run. Would pass legislation mandating all citizens brush their teeth. He gets a no from me, but why not vote for him? He seems anti-Establishment. Gains my respect nonetheless.
- Robby Wells ; Former head football coach at Savannah State University, ran in 2012 as the candidate for the
Constitution(RIGHT WING NATIONALIST) party. Definite no from me because of this. He does, however, want to bring our troops home. A very nobel idea that I can support.
- Martin O’Malley ; Former Governor of Maryland and Mayor of Baltimore. Has ambitions of running in 2016 but no official word. Seems like your average Liberal. Could get support. Where does he stand on campaign finances though? My main concern with all these people running is their conflict of interests with their donors. A no from me, but would like to hear him in some debates.
- Jim Webb ; Secretary of the Navy under President Reagan, has taught literature at Naval Academy. Served as a State Senator of Virginia from 2007 to 2013. Not too long ago, Business Insider published an article which reported that Webb’s Born Fighting PAC raised close to $1,000,000, yet nearly $100,000 was paid to Webb’s wife and daughter. Definite no because of this blatant display of corruption. Nevertheless. He wrote a beautiful op-ed in 2002, profoundly demonstrating the failure of invading Iraq. Maybe there’s a glimmer of hope?
Concerned citizens, Seniors at Foley High, policemen and women, people working 40 to 75 hours making just enough to get by… we have a while until the actual election. In spite of this, it’s our American duty to stay up to date daily from now until the election.
Henry David Thoreau, one of the greatest American citizens of all time once said, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you’ve imagined.”
Let us dream big for our government and put in place the government we imagine.